Stripping the old girl down…
So first steps, remove all parts and sand off the paint.
This thing is plywood.
Needless to say, this is not what I was expecting. Still, onwards and upwards!
As you can see in some of the pictures, I was starting to get these light blue patches that were rough to the touch. At the time, I had no idea what this was, but figured if I carried on sanding there it would only make them worse, so I left them.
With the body completely sanded down, it was on to the next step.
Routing the body/re-cutting the pickguard
I took measurements of the toaster pickup which had arrived, and made the initial etch-marks around the neck pickup:
I consider myself lucky that the bridge pickup cavity had already been cut for a humbucker (Peavey must have been using this body for different models of the raptor). So anyway, here’s the neck pickup rout cut:
Not perfect, but it’ll do the job! Plus the pickguard will be hiding the bulk of it anyways.
Speaking of the pickguard…
Before, the pickguard was cut for three single coils. After using a dremel (which I have decided is the best tool in existence), I managed to get it cut for a toaster pickup and a humbucker:
I decided to re-cut the existing pickguard for three main reasons:
- Because I could
- Because I couldn’t find another pickguard that’s the shape I need
- Because I’m a cheapskate.
Re-cutting this pickguard to what I need and then covering it with black vinyl made more sense to me then buying a blank black pickguard sheet, and ends up far cheaper.
Next stage, starting the wood finish!